Saturday, December 13, 2008

Time Wasting, for a Good Cause...

I have found a new way to waste time on the internet. But I am ok with it, because it's procrastination for a good cause. My kids talked about it last year, but I was to busy to go check it out myself. And a couple of weeks ago, one of my friends on Facebook (that *other* mode of procrastination...) became a fan, so I had to check it out. He's a priest, after all...

Free Rice is a wonderful site where you get to play a game, increase your vocabulary, and procrastinate, all while feeding the hungry. What could be better??? Hey - my husband spends hours on end playing World of Warcraft. This actually has some redeeming social value... *grin* For every answer you get correct, Free Rice will donate 20 grains of rice to feed hungry people in poor countries. There are several different categories - Art, Chemical Symbols, English Grammar, English Vocabulary, Geography, Languages, and Math.

I've stuck to the Vocabulary, but I will probably branch out eventually. I've been playing on and off all day, today, with the kids chipping in from time to time, and so far, I've donated 25,280 grains of rice. *blush* I've spent a lot of time at the computer, today... But I can do this while Hannah is nursing, which she did a lot of this morning...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

So, the next time you find yourself sitting in front of your computer screen, wondering where to click next, give Free Rice a try. It's surprisingly addictive (although some of this may be that English major in me), and educational all at once. And you're feeding people. Guilt-free procrastination... What could be better??? OK - well, cleaning the kitchen might be more productive, but this is WAY more fun... And it's not completely mindless, either. Go ahead - give it a shot. And thank you for feeding the hungry!

4 comments:

  1. OMG!! I LOVE that site!!!! I put my kids on it at school ALL the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have much time now to play, but I did manage 1000 grains. It's fun. I'll bookmark it so I can play it later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carissa's teachers always have them play when they're done w/ their work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dang....what doesn't your family do for the marginalized!?!?!?1?1

    ReplyDelete