Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Counting Down the Days

Thanksgiving preparations are beginning in earnest around here.  We've got most of our shopping done (shocking, I know!!!), and the house is on the way to being presentable.  The family room, I discovered, has berber carpet.  *ahem*  And Joshua is amazed by the spaces he now has to practice his new skills of crawling and cruising.

Unfortunately, the kids seem to have been hit by nasty germies this week.  Boo.  We are hoping and praying that it doesn't go any further than viral crud, and that everyone will feel more-or-less okay for the big meal, and that we can all rest and recover over the weekend.

But, here, in the waning hours of the day, I find myself struggling.  I am struggling with all the busy-ness, with all that needs to be done, and with my complete and total lack of ability to get it done.  Mostly, I have spent the day praying...  No, that's not the right word...  Begging.  Yes, begging for Grace.  As I see, in my mind's eye, all that needs to be done spiraling out of control, and things being forgotten or half-done, I get all frazzled trying to keep it all together.  And it's just Thanksgiving dinner for our family - we're not even entertaining!

I need Grace to show me, to remind me, that all that I really need is to be thankful.  To come to the table with a heart overflowing with gratitude and praise.  Why, oh WHY, is that so hard?  My voice has been raised far too many times today, out of sheer frustration at my own failures, rather than at anything anyone else has done (or not done).  I need Grace to simply remember, to breathe.  To let go of the perfection, and just be thankful for all the blessings I have.

Because, you see, I am blessed beyond measure, and for that, I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment