Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

The turkey has been gobbled up, the mashed potatoes ravaged, and the remainder of the meal put to rest, our bellies topped off with pie.  The little ones are snugly wrapped in sleep, and the house begins to quiet itself for the night.  It has been a day of plenty, a day of abundance.  In a world where so many go without, we feast.  We are blessed.

Blessed.  

I have so much to be thankful for.  Not just the basics, the things we take for granted - food, shelter, clothing, and all matter of modern conveniences...  But security, hope, and, most of all, love.  I am surrounded by love.  The love of a wonderful husband, who puts up with far more from me than he ought. Seven precious children - there are few people who are blessed to be the mother to such a large brood.  It is truly a gift that I cherish every day.  Friends - far and near, on-line and in person.  Love.  I am surrounded by love.

As we tell our children the story of that First Thanksgiving so many years ago, I hope that I can somehow convey the passionate love and gratefulness that burned within the hearts of those first settlers - our ancestors, and that I, like them, may never take the simple things for granted.  And, that I might hold dear the things that are really important, and never forget.

And be grateful,  Those who sat in communion at that first great American feast knew Who was responsible for their bounty.  May I also, with the honest zeal they showed, give thanks to God for everything He has given me, every moment of every day.  And, like them, celebrate extravagantly in all His blessings.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment